What To Do After A Motorcycle Accident
Chaos and confusion are typical following a collision of any kind. When a motorcyclist is involved, all traffic matters are made even more complicated. This is due to the massive vulnerability that these riders maintain. With limited protection, especially without a Connecticut helmet law in place, these motorcyclists are left susceptible to any and all dangers that exist on the roadways throughout the state. Sadly, this leads to an enormous number of accident injuries and fatalities.
First and foremost, all of those involved must check to see the health status of passengers and drivers after a motorcycle accident. More often than not, an ambulance should be called (911) to arrive on the scene and have the situation assessed by a professional medical staff. It is important for motorcyclists to understand that they must not move their bike off of the road in oncoming traffic. The immediate priority must be injured parties, not vehicles.
Once the parties involved in the collision are safely on the side of the road, there are a number of important steps to take after a motorcycle accident. During this time, it is imperative for all of those involved in the crash to be in a safe and secure area while waiting for medical staff and law enforcement to arrive at the scene of the crash. Following this action, motorists should engage in the following activities after a motorcycle accident:
- Immediately contact the necessary law enforcement authorities
- Never assume that a passing vehicle has called, always contact 911
- Exchange insurance information with the operator of the other vehicle(s) involved
- Exchange contact information, write down license plate numbers, and document as much as possible about the accident
- Take photographs, if possible, of the area where the accident took place as well as any damages to persons and property (including vehicle damage)
- Collect information from any witnesses present
- Give the police a statement about the accident, give details but refrain from attempting to argue a case
- Do not speak with an insurance company prior to speaking with an attorney
- Wait for medical professionals to arrive on the scene to assess any and all injuries
- Contact a Connecticut accident attorney to discuss potential legal options
While no driver is truly prepared to be involved in a traffic crash, being aware of what to do after a motorcycle accident will prove to be incredibly advantageous. Those involved in a collision are often overwhelmed with the many stresses associated with the crash. Therefore, the better prepared and educated the driver is the more likely that the aftermath will flow as smoothly as possible.
Contact An Experienced New Haven Accident Injury Attorney
With offices located in New Haven, Bridgeport, and Hartford, Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers has proudly provided professional legal services to Connecticut residents for many, many years. Through our extensive experience and legal knowledge, we are able to fight for the protection of all Connecticut motorists’ rights. In our pursuit of justice for all, we work diligently to craft a case that achieves the maximum compensation possible for our clients.
Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers is prepared to take on your case today. If you or a loved one has suffered any injuries after a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation. We are available to meet you in a hospital, your home, or any location that is most convenient for you and your family members.
Get started today by completing a Free Case Evaluation form on this page.