Talk To Our Attorneys About a Slip and Fall Lawsuit
Injuries can range from bruises and broken bones to head injuries and even death.
While many falls occur in homes, slips and falls are also common in public places such as stores, restaurants, or sidewalks. Failures to keep these areas clean and free of hazards can often lead to serious accidents.
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in New Haven, it is important to speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. The New Haven slip and fall lawyers at Jonathan Perkins can help you understand your legal rights and may be able to help you file a lawsuit against the property owner or business responsible for your injury.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Most people usually think of a slip and fall accident as someone slipping on ice or water, but that is only the beginning. There are many reasons you might slip and fall, including objects left in walkways, wet floors, torn carpeting, poor lighting, and uneven walking surfaces.
Here are some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents:
1. Broken or Slippery Surfaces
Slips and falls are more likely to occur when a property does not have a solid surface for pedestrians to walk on. When this happens, injuries such as sprained ankles and broken bones can be sustained by individuals who have fallen because they cannot maintain their footing.
There are times when individuals will trip or slip because of an object that has been left in a walkway. These obstructions can include items such as boxes, tools, grocery carts, racks of clothing, etc.
3. Poor Lighting
Slips and falls are also more likely to happen when proper lighting is not in place in areas where pedestrians often travel. Poor lighting can make it difficult for pedestrians to see where they are stepping, which could then lead to them falling, getting hurt, and filing a slip and fall claim.
4. Defective Equipment
It is important for employers who own heavy machinery or equipment to make sure that their employees know the importance of checking all safety equipment before turning on or using any machine.
5. Poor Wearing of Footwear
At times, people involved in slips and falls will do so because they were not wearing shoes or other footwear on the property. If this happens at your business or commercial property, it is important to ensure your customers know what kind of footwear is permitted on-site.
Is Property Owner at Fault For Your Slip and Fall Injuries?
If you were recently injured after slipping and falling on someone else’s property, you might be wondering whether or not your injuries will be covered.
These types of cases are commonly known as slip and fall accidents; these accidents can cause a wide range of injuries, from broken bones to soft tissue damage. To establish fault for a slip and fall accident, it is important to remember that these three elements must be proved in court:
- The owner or occupier of the property knew that some condition existed on the premises which were unreasonably dangerous and posed an unreasonable risk of harm to others entering onto the premises either accidentally or otherwise.
- This condition caused injury when there was a likelihood of a person being in the location where they could be injured by the condition.
- The owner or occupier failed to take reasonable measures to repair the condition or protect against the condition.
In order for an individual to sue another party over a slip and fall accident that occurred on their property, it is important that all three elements are proved.
How Can a New Haven Slip and Fall Injury Attorney Help You?
Slip and fall cases are actionable under the tort of negligence. In this type of case, you can sue a property owner for injuries that happen on that property due to some form of negligence by the owner or their employees.
The following is a brief rundown on how an injury attorney can help with slip and fall lawsuits:
- Prepare Your Documentation: If you find yourself filing suit against a business or individual for slip and falls, make sure you have all your documentation in order. Whether you need police reports, doctor bills and medical records, photographs of the scene where the incident took place, etc., having plenty of paperwork will help your case as well as speed up any legal proceedings that might occur.
- Proving Fault: If you are filing suit against a business for injuries due to slip and fall, be sure to prove that they were negligent or at least partially negligent. This means proving that the business did not take proper care of its premises, as well as an investigation into what might have caused your condition or accident.
- Settlement Negotiations: One of the most important jobs an injury lawyer can do is assist with settlement negotiations on your behalf. In some cases, depending on the severity of damages inflicted by the incident, ew Haven slip and fall lawyers might get involved right away or start working on a case once it has been filed.
- Court Proceedings: As with any personal injury case, if negotiations fail and the court proceedings begin, the assistance of a good lawyer will be crucial. At this step in your case, evidence collection has been done, and it is time for you to present your case before a jury or judge.
Talk To Our New Haven Attorneys To Protect Yourself From Slip and Fall Accidents
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, New Haven slip and fall lawyers at Jonathan Perkins can help you. We have been serving New Haven for years, providing assistance in cases involving slip and fall accidents, motor vehicle collisions, defective products, medical malpractice claims, and many other kinds of personal injury claims.
If you or a family member has suffered a serious injury due to someone else’s negligence, contact us immediately, so we can start gathering evidence and building your case.