Regarding fatal car accidents, Connecticut ranks somewhere in the middle compared to the rest of the country. Unfortunately, this does not mean they do not occur. In fact, reports show that 2022 was one of the deadliest years for Connecticut drivers and pedestrians. This does not even account for the accidents causing injuries.
Unfortunately, for many drivers, it is not a matter of if they will be involved in a car accident but when. Because this is a reality, and all drivers in the state need to learn what to do if they find themselves in this situation.
Besides using the steps listed below, contact our legal team at Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers for assistance after a car accident. We will help you with your claim and defend your rights.
Steps to Take After a Connecticut Car Accident
The scene of an accident is often confusing and chaotic. While this is true, you should try to stay calm and take these steps:
Get to Safety and Help Others
After the accident, get yourself, your passengers, and others somewhere safe. If you can move your vehicle off the road, do so. If not, move off the road, so you are not in the way of traffic.
Do not leave the scene. Leaving the scene of an accident may result in your driver’s license being suspended.
Some other steps to take immediately after the accident include:
- Note possible dangers like fire;
- Assist others involved in the accident;
- Contact the authorities; and
- Stay calm if you are injured.
Your safety and the safety of others involved in the accident should be your priority.
After you and others are safe, share your details with the other people involved in the accident. If there are witnesses nearby, ask them for their contact information too.
Some of the information you should give and collect after a Connecticut car accident includes the following:
- Name, address, phone number
- Driver’s license information
- License plates of all vehicles involved
- Auto insurance details of everyone involved
It is necessary to provide your details to the police when they arrive at the scene too.
Contact the Authorities
After an accident, another party may try to talk you out of contacting the authorities – do not let this happen. Even minor accidents can cause expensive injuries.
The police will document information from everyone involved and create an official report. This will be necessary if you move forward and file a car accident claim.
Document the Scene
If you plan to file a car accident claim, you need as much evidence as possible related to the accident. If you experienced an injury, you could ask someone with you or someone nearby to assist you with this.
The information you collect directly after the accident will be beneficial when the insurance company begins to determine fault.
Some of the evidence and documentation you should collect after a car accident include the following:
- Information about the other people involved in the accident.
- Photos of all vehicles involved in the collision and the car’s license plates. Try to capture these pictures before the vehicles are moved.
- Take pictures of the road conditions, weather conditions, traffic signs, traffic signals, and other conditions that may have impacted the accident.
- If you were a passenger in a rideshare vehicle, take pictures of the information in the app.
- Identify the police officers who come to the scene of the accident and write down their badge numbers and names.
- Get a copy of the police report (the officer at the scene can tell you where to get a copy).
This is evidence that can be invaluable if you decide to file a claim against the at-fault party.
Seek Medical Treatment
If you are involved in a minor accident, you may be tempted to skip being checked out by a medical professional. However, this is not a good idea.
There are several reasons to seek a medical evaluation.
First, to find hidden injuries. Some injuries you sustain in a car accident will not appear for hours, days, or weeks after they happen. If you do not get a full medical evaluation, these minor injuries may become more serious and lead to serious complications.
You also need to be seen by a doctor for the documentation. If you plan to file a lawsuit, you need to show how severe your injuries were and the cost of your treatment. All this will be used to determine the compensation you are entitled to receive.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer
When you are focused on recovering from your injuries, it may be difficult to think about the legal aspect of your situation. That is where we come in. Our legal team at Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers can provide you with knowledgeable and experienced representation to help ensure your claim is handled properly.
We work on the behalf of car accident victims to help them recover the maximum compensation possible for their car accident claim. Some of the ways we can help with your case include the following:
- Investigate the accident, what caused it, and find liable parties.
- Collect documentation and evidence to determine the value of your claim.
- Help you receive the best possible medical treatment to aid with your recovery.
- Ensure that all deadlines are met and that the legal process is handled.
- Negotiate with the insurance company to help you secure a fair settlement.
- Reduce your stress and allow you to focus on your recovery.
We understand that a car accident can be a life-changing event. Even minor accidents can lead to chronic back and neck pain.
We aim to help you get the maximum compensation for all costs and losses related to your Connecticut car accident. Some of the types of compensation you can potentially recover when you file a car accident claim includes the following:
- The costs of past, present, and future medical costs.
- Lost wages if you cannot work after the accident.
- Lost earning capacity if you are unable to return to work.
- Pain and suffering, emotional trauma, and mental anguish.
- The cost to repair or replace any property damaged during the accident.
Each case is unique. Because of this, we take a custom approach to each car accident case we take on. Our team will work to ensure that you receive compensation for the losses you incur.
Contact Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers for Help with Your Car Accident Claim
If you are involved in an accident, contact our Connecticut car accident lawyer for help. We will review the facts of your case, gather evidence, and negotiate with the insurance company to help you get the damages you deserve.
The first step is to contact our office to schedule a free consultation. There is no obligation, and you never pay us until your case is concluded. Call our office today to set up an initial consultation to discuss your situation.