Car accidents can cause serious injuries, and it’s important to do everything you can to protect yourself and your passengers on the road.
One of the most effective ways to do this is by choosing a safe car.
Here, you can learn about some of the safest cars in a car accident and discuss why they’re such a good choice for drivers and passengers.
If you are involved in a car accident caused by another person’s negligence, contact our Connecticut auto accident attorneys at Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers for assistance.
What Makes a Car Safe?
Before we dive into specific cars, it’s important to understand what makes a car safe in the first place. Several factors can impact a car’s safety, including:
- Crashworthiness refers to a car’s ability to protect occupants in the event of a crash. This includes the car’s frame, airbags, seat belts, and other safety features.
- Crash avoidance refers to a car’s ability to avoid getting into a crash in the first place. This includes anti-lock brakes, electronic stability control, and forward collision warning systems.
- Driver assistance: This refers to features that can help drivers stay safe on the road, such as blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning, and adaptive cruise control.
Now that we understand what makes a car safe, let’s look at some of the safest cars on the road today.
Tesla Model S
The Tesla Model S is a luxury electric car that has earned high marks for safety. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) gave the Model S a perfect 5-star safety rating in every category.
The car is designed with a strong aluminum frame that can protect occupants in the event of a crash. It also comes with various safety features like airbags, seat belts, and electronic stability control. The Model S is also equipped with Tesla’s Autopilot system, which can help drivers avoid collisions by automatically braking and steering to stay within lanes.
Volvo has long been known for its commitment to safety, and the XC90 is no exception. The SUV comes with various advanced safety features, including automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, and blind spot monitoring. Additionally, the XC90 has earned high marks for crashworthiness, partly thanks to its strong steel frame and extensive use of airbags throughout the cabin.
The Subaru Legacy is a midsize sedan that has earned high marks for safety thanks to its advanced safety features and crashworthiness. The car comes with Subaru’s EyeSight system, which includes adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, and pre-collision braking. Additionally, the Legacy has earned high marks in crash tests, thanks in part to its use of high-strength steel in key areas of the frame.
The Honda Civic is a popular compact car that has earned high marks for safety thanks to its advanced safety features and excellent crash test ratings. The car comes with Honda Sensing, which includes features like lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, and automatic emergency braking. Additionally, the Civic has earned top marks in crash tests, partly thanks to its use of advanced materials like high-strength steel and aluminum.
The Kia Optima is a midsize sedan that has earned high marks for safety thanks to its advanced safety features and excellent crash test ratings. The car has advanced safety features, including blind spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, and automatic emergency braking. Additionally, the Optima has earned top marks in crash tests, thanks in part to its use of high-strength steel in key areas of the frame.
Laws and Regulations Regarding Car Safety
While choosing a safe car is important, it’s also important to understand the laws and regulations that govern car safety in Connecticut.
Here are some important laws and regulations to keep in mind:
- Seat Belt Law: In Connecticut, all vehicle occupants must wear seat belts when the vehicle is in motion. This includes both front-seat and back-seat passengers.
- Child Safety Seat Law: Children under the age of 7 and under 60 pounds must be secured in a child safety seat or booster seat appropriate for their age and size.
- DUI Laws: Connecticut has strict laws regarding driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. If a driver is found to be operating a vehicle while impaired, they can face severe penalties, including fines, license suspension, and even jail time.
- Cell Phone Use Laws: Using a handheld cell phone while driving in Connecticut is illegal. This includes texting, making calls, and using apps.
- Car Inspection Requirements: In Connecticut, all registered vehicles must undergo an annual safety inspection to meet certain safety standards.
Understanding and following these laws and regulations can help keep yourself and your passengers safe on the road.
Contact Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers for Help with Your Case
Choosing a safe car is an important step in protecting yourself and your passengers in a car accident.
If you are involved in an accident, contact our office to schedule a free consultation.