Every year, millions of people in the United States suffer injuries from a fall. These injuries can be minor, such as bruises and sprains, or they can be severe, such as head injuries or broken bones (e.g. wrist, arm, ankle, or hip fractures). In the most severe cases, it can even result in death. Everyone is susceptible to injury from a fall, but older adults are especially at risk.
If you or a loved one was injured in a slip and fall accident in Woodridge, CT, you may be facing steep financial losses from medical expenses and lost income, not to mention the pain caused by the injury. In cases where these injuries were caused by someone else’s negligence, then you may be entitled to compensation.
Contact Our Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers at Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers in Woodbridge
If you are unaware of your rights, you may not be aware that you have grounds for a personal injury case after being injured in a slip and fall accident. Connecticut laws protect those injured by the recklessness or negligence of another party, and at Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers, we are committed to protecting the rights of those injured. We have decades of experience helping victims across Connecticut pursue successful claims and receive the compensation they deserve. We want to see justice for you and your family and provide the care and attention you need to make a full recovery — financially, physically, and emotionally. Call us at 203-427-0889 or contact us online today for a free consultation.
What To Do If You’ve Been Injured in a Slip and Fall in Woodbridge
If you were not expecting to slip and fall, then you may be confused about what you need to do after your accident.
- 1. Seek medical treatment — Early medical treatment can be instrumental to ensure that your injuries are cared for, even if they are not visible. Symptoms such as nausea, dizziness, and disorientation following a fall are especially concerning.
- 2. Record as much as you can — Evidence will help build a stronger case later on. Take photos and videos of the scene and preserve the clothing and footwear you were wearing.
- 3. Report the accident — Report what happened to the property owner and the necessary authorities. However, refrain from making statements to any insurance companies, as they are likely looking to minimize their responsibility.
- 4. Contact Woodbridge slip and fall accident lawyers — If you want an objective look at the facts of your case and who was at fault, then contact experienced Woodbridge slip and fall accident lawyers to assist you. They can conduct a thorough investigation and gather the necessary evidence.
Who Is Liable for Your Injuries?
Under premises liability laws, the owner of a property owes a duty of care to anyone on their property. They are responsible for maintaining a safe environment, and failure to do so may make them liable for your injuries. Several questions you may ask to determine their liability are:
- Did the property owner create unsafe conditions by failing to perform maintenance?
- Was the property owner aware of the unsafe conditions but failed to provide adequate warning to guests?
- Did the property owner fail to address any unsafe conditions?
If the answers to these questions are difficult to determine on your own, Woodbridge slip and fall lawyers will be able to help you review the circumstances of your accident and the property owner’s degree of responsibility.
Common Causes of Slips, Trips, and Falls
The property owner has a responsibility to maintain the safety of their property and keep it free of any hazards. However, there are instances where they neglect to perform this responsibility, leading to these common causes of slips, trips, and falls being present:
- Spilled or pooled food, liquids, or other substances
- Poor lighting
- Misplaced objects (e.g. cords running across a walkway)
- Snowy or icy walkways
- Ripped or loose carpeting
- Uneven or slick surfaces
- Holes or gaps in the floor
- Broken or missing stairs
- Broken or missing safety handrails
- Missing safety warnings
What Damages Can You Recover After Your Slip and Fall Accident?
With the help of skilled Woodbridge accident lawyers, you will be able to prove that your injuries were the result of someone else’s negligence. You are then owed compensation for your injury and the losses resulting from it, such as:
- Economic damages — Losses with a fixed financial cost, such as medical expenses, physical therapy and rehabilitation costs, or lost income from missed work or diminished earning potential
- Non-economic damages — Losses without a fixed financial cost, such as pain and suffering, mental anguish, or loss of consortium
Get the Assistance of Experienced Woodbridge Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers
No one ever wants to be injured in an accident, but in the event that you or a loved one are injured in a slip and fall accident, our team of Woodbridge slip and fall lawyers is ready to help.
We know that navigating the legal system is hard when you are recovering from injuries, and we want to make the process as easy as possible. At Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers, we will fight for your right to compensation with the utmost dedication, so you can get back on your feet faster. Call us at 203-427-0889 or contact us online today for a free consultation without worrying about legal fees — you only pay when we win your case.